In this guide
You may have seen a hamster enjoying a trip in a hamster ball: a plastic ball (with air holes) that they can run around in. It’s a great way of letting your hamster loose in your home, without having to worry about them getting lost.
If your hamster loves to run around their cage then they’ll probably also love a ball. It will give them the chance to explore the world outside of their cage!
However, there are some things that you need to remember about keeping your hamster safe.
Putting your hamster into a hamster ball
A hamster ball can allow your hamster to have fun and exercise outside of their cage, but they need to be in the right mood. You shouldn’t force them to get inside.
If they are awake and alert then this is a good time to let them play. Don’t wake them up to put them in, or disturb them if they are having quiet time. You wouldn’t like it if someone did this to you and your hamster isn’t going to be impressed either!
Dangers to look out for
A ball is a fun way for your furry pet to get exercise, but it’s also very easy for the fun to go wrong.
You need to be careful so that your hamster has a great time and doesn’t get upset or hurt.
Here are a few things you need to be especially aware of.
- Never leave your hamster alone, always keep watch of its movements.
- Never let your hamster play in its ball when there are other pets in the room.
- Only let your hamster run in its ball on a carpeted floor. On a wooden floor, the ball will roll too quickly.
- Don’t leave your hamster in a ball for any longer than twenty minutes.
- Don’t put your hamster inside more than once a day.
- If your hamster looks stressed or bored, take them out straight away.
- Don’t let your hamster explore in a room where there are stairs or any other obstacles for the ball to fall off.
- Always check that the door is tightly shut before you let you hamster go.
- Finally, always handle the ball with two hands. This reduces the chance of losing your grip if the hamster makes a sudden movement.
What type of ball should you buy?
There are several types available and they’re all designed to do essentially the same thing. It’s therefore best to get one that’s as large as possible and read customer reviews.
Some good options include:
Whichever you choose, the most important thing to remember is that you should take all the necessary safety precautions.