In this guide
Naming your new hamster can be as difficult a decision as getting one in the first place. If this is your first hamster or pet, you probably want to make sure you’re picking the best name possible.
So, we have a range of great hamster names for you in this article and the top hamster names in 2022. But first, let’s give you a few tips on naming your hamster.
Tips for Naming Your Pet Hamster
Hamsters are short and sweet, and this is also our top tip for naming your new family member; keep it short and sweet. After all, hamsters are smart, and you can train them to learn their name and respond to them. But if it’s overly complicated, training them will be difficult and you’ll probably end up calling them something shorter anyway.
Another top tip for naming your hamster is to think of the things you love. Perhaps you could call them after your favourite movie character or book.
But perhaps the easiest way to name your hamster is by observing them. Are they fluffy? Do they jump around a lot? Is there a cute patch on their fur that’s a different colour? It’s easy to come up with a name based on your hamster’s personality and what they look like.
Now that you’re equipped with some ways to come up with a name let’s help you further with some of the best hamster names out there.
Top Names for Hamsters
We have to start with the absolute best hamster names. So, here are 10 top hamster names for 2022:
- Biscuit – perfect for a golden brown hamster.
- Buttons – for hamsters that are cute as a button.
- Cheddar – named after your hamster’s favourite treat.
- Cheeks – because the puffed cheeks are a signature look of any hamster.
- Fluffy – if your hamster is fluffy, what else would you name it?
- Hamilton – a great play on the word hamster.
- Hammy – a classic name for any hamster.
- Nibbles – because hamsters nibble everything.
- Patches – for hamsters that have patches on their fur.
- Tiny – because even big hamsters are still small creatures.
Girl Hamster Names
If you’ve opted for a lady hamster, you may want to stick to a girl’s name. There are so many adorable girl hamster names to choose from but here are the top 10.
Boy Hamster Names
Now for boy hamster names. You want your wee hamster boy to have the best name, so here are the best of the best.
Food-Related Hamster Names
Naming any pet after your favourite food item isn’t anything new. However, naming your pet hamster after some sort of food, often a sweet treat, is extremely popular. So, here are 10 food-related hamster names for you to have your pick.
- Cookie Dough
Personality-Related Hamster Names
As we mentioned, observing your hamster’s personality is a great way to name your hamster. So, depending on what they’re like, here are a range of personality traits cleverly posing as hamster names.
- Bashful – for hamsters who always hide when they meet someone new.
- Blaze – perfect for fast hamsters.
- Chomper – for hamsters obsessed with chewing.
- Dopey – this one is self-explanatory.
- Frisky – for a hamster that’s full of energy!
- Happy – is your hamster always happy? This name is more than perfect.
- Prancer – for hamsters who love to dance and owners who love Christmas.
- Scampers – if your hamster’s always on the move, go with this name.
- Sleepy – for hamsters who sleep more than usual.
- Wheeler – does your hamster live on its wheel? This name is the one!
Appearance-Related Hamster Names
Another smart way to name your hamster is from what they look like. This is a great way to not have to explain why you named your hamster what you did. If it’s white and you call it snow, everyone will understand why. But here are some other options.
- Blondie – for a blonde-coloured hammie.
- Dusty – for a grey-coloured hamster.
- Fluffy – for hamsters covered in fluff.
- Freckles – perfect for a spotty hamster.
- Fuzzy – does your hamster have short and fuzzy fur? Try this name.
- Goldie – for hamsters with a deep golden colour.
- Midnight – for black hamsters only.
- Mocha – for hammies with deep brown fur.
- Sandy – great for a sandy-coloured hamster.
- Snowflake – this one is for white hamsters only.
Funny Hamster Names
If you’re a bit of a joker or the class clown, you may want a funny name for your hamster. Don’t worry, we’ve got 10 of the best for you.
- Fluff Butt
- Ham Solo
- Madam Ham
- Mr. Cheeks
Cool Hamster Names
Now, maybe you’re not the class clown but the cool kid and want to name your hamster something cool, too. Here’s a pretty cool list.
Cute Hamster Names
If funny and cool aren’t your thing, maybe you’ll opt for something cute just like your hamster; we have you covered. Cute names for hamsters are endless, but here are the top 10 to get you started.
- Boo Bear
- Sweet Pea
Unique Hamster Names
Okay, you don’t want a generic name or a funny or cute one either; you want your hamster to stand out from the crowd. The only way forward in that case, is to name your hamster something unique. Not sure where to start? How about the 10 unique hamster names below.
- Ying Yang
The Best Hamster Names
All in all, the best hamster name is the one that you choose for your hammie. Whether it’s a funny one, unique, or plain and simple, it’ll be perfect.
No matter what you name your pet hamster, loving and caring for them is the most important thing. Although, if you can train them to learn their name, that’s pretty cool, too.